One of the biggest challenges of working a 9 to 5 job is finding a way to get up from your desk and getting exercise during the day. Whether it is because you are too busy, you lose track of time, or you can’t think of creative ways, here’s 10 ways that will help. Remember, exercising doesn’t mean you have to break a sweat, and come back to your desk dripping wet! Exercise should involve getting your mind, and body in motion to relieve yourself of the constant doldrums of your workday.
1. Park your car farther away: Before you step foot inside your office you can get more exercise. Park farther away from the front door, and leave the front parking spots for visitors to your office building. Pack your lunch, and personal items in easy to carry bags to make the walk easier on your shoulders.
2. Consider alternate modes of transportation: If you live close to work; consider biking, or walking on nice days. Sure, everyday may not be conducive for outdoor modes of transportation, but you may be able to skip the gym on days that you walk or bike in to work!
3. Take the stairs or the long way to your desk: If your office is in a multi-story office building consider taking the stairs or an alternate longer route to your desk. Elevators often take more time than walking, and the time you are standing on an elevator can be spent burning a few more calories before you get to your desk.
4. Get a walking pedometer: Pedometers are a great way to measure how many steps you have taken in a day. Many devices will convert steps into miles, and you will feel motivated to walk more during the day when you see your distance traveled increase! Attach a pedometer to your waist pants or skirt, and see the difference in your motivation.
5. Get up from your desk hourly: If you have a job that keeps you trapped at your desk for hours at a time, make an excuse to get up hourly, if not more. Take walks to the printers, restroom, or the water cooler to get added exercise, without added time. This will also help you stay alert at your desk and may help you be more productive in your tasks.
6. Walk to lunch: Many people gain weight during their lunch hour due to eating out at lunch, and then sitting for hours afterwards. If your office building is located near restaurants and eateries, opt to meet your coworkers there, or ask them to take the walk with you! You will feel less lethargic once you get back to your office for the second half of the day.
7. Run in place: It may sound silly, but boosting your heart rate up for even a few minutes can oxygenate your blood and keep you alert and your body burning calories more efficiently during the day. Go into a bathroom stall and run in place for a minute or two, or take a walk down to the mailroom where no one will see you walking briskly.
8. Meet-up with coworkers for an exercise regimen: Many professionals find it easier to exercise with a friend or coworker. Ask some of your close coworkers to start working out with you after work, or even taking a walk with you during the lunch hour.
9. Join an at-work exercise/wellness program: Many offices are partnering with health insurance providers to offer on-site gyms, exercise regimens and incentives for professionals to get fit and healthy. Ask your Human Resources department if your company is participating in a wellness program.
10. Pack healthy snacks and skip the vending machine: All the exercise in the world will not help, if you are visiting the vending machine and eating potato chips and candy all day. Bring your own snacks, such as nuts, fruit, and high protein/low carbohydrate snacks to keep your energy up, and your exercise not in vain.
Exercising at work can be fun if you instill the right mindset and you tell yourself that you will benefit in multiple ways. From increased energy, better feeling body, and increased productivity, exercising has more benefits than just staying healthy. Use these 10 tips to help you stay healthy and happy at throughout your workday.
Categories: Business Tips